21 May 2014

Review: V is for Villain

V is for Villain by Peter Moore
Publisher: Hyperion
Publication date: May 20, 2014

"V IS FOR VILLAIN" by Peter Moore is a book about a group of villains in a world full of superheroes who run the government. Brad Baron will never be able to live up to his world-famous brother. He doesn't have any superhuman powers like his brother does, but what he lacks in physical strength he makes up for with is mental capabilities. While the rest of his family worries about Brad's lack of physical capabilities, Brad meets a new group of friends who will forever change him.

I could not put this book down. I was constantly wondering what Brad's next move would be. I loved how the villain was seen as the protagonist and how the superheroes, usually in this position, are now seen as the antagonists. I also liked how there were examples of each side: Brad's brother represented the hero and Mutagion represented the villain. I also liked the planning that came before the action, preparing you for what was to come. Although I would definitely read the sequel (the ending makes it clear that there will be one), I think that this book could use improvement: I wish that when Brad said some things, he had actually believed what he was saying and had thought about them beforehand (he is often saying he doesn't know where his thoughts and words come from), I feel that the small amount of romance in the book could have been more successful, I feel that there were a couple of unnecessary scenes, and I feel that Brad's claim that every word in the book is true makes it only more fictional. Other than this one fictional aspect (not including the superpowers, of course), the personalities of all the main characters were very realistic.

This book kind of resembles the "H.I.V.E." series by Mark Walden. I also think it resembles the Avengers, reversed and from the villain's perspective. I would recommend this book for ages 12 and up.





No comments:

Post a Comment