30 September 2014

Review: Rethinking Normal: A Memoir in Transition

Rethinking Normal: A Memoir in Transition by Katie Rain Hill
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Publishing date: September 30, 2014

RETHINKING NORMAL by Katie Rain Hill is a memoir in which the author shares her personal journey of transitioning from male to female. Katie explains how she never felt comfortable as a boy. Even before high school, Katie realizes that the only thing that would ever make her feel completely comfortable in her own skin is if she were to live her life as a girl. Throughout the novel, Katie reflects on her pain-filled childhood through bullies and her own depression, and the events leading up to the decision to transition fully from one sex to another. I found this book to be very original and interesting, especially considering that I personally haven’t read many books that talk about LGBTQ related subjects written in the first person. This book is completely non fiction, something a bit more uncommon for YA novels. I would recommend this book to anyone who has curiosity on the subject. From reading this book I really learned a lot about gender reassignment surgery and what it actually entails, but I also learned a person’s story that I found brave and genuine. It’s definitely a unique topic, so if you have any curiosity I would definitely recommend it!


No comments:

Post a Comment