18 September 2014

Review: Rebel Belle

Rebel Belle by Rachel Hawkins
Publisher: Putnam
Publication date: April 8, 2014

In Rachel Hawkins' REBEL BELLE, a fast-paced novel that's sure to make you turn pages quicker than you can say "y'all," Harper, a teenage Southern belle, has her life turned upside down on the night of homecoming. Thanks to a near death experience in her school's restroom during the dance, Harper soon finds herself busting out ninja moves left and right, flipping her boyfriend over, and driving cars like a regular James Bond. To complicate things further, she finds out why she suddenly can do all these things: Harper is a Paladin, an agile guardian of the Oracle. And the person she has to protect is none other than her nemesis, David Stark.

I love Hawkins' taut writing, and found REBEL BELLE easy to pick up and hard to put down. Staying true to her teenage protagonist’s voice, Hawkins essentially captures the sass and biting wit of a high school girl through Harper’s narration. All the characters react to their situations the same way most teenagers would, and I found I could easily see myself behaving similarly if I were ever faced with their dilemmas. This book is definitely one I'd recommend if you are looking for a quick, fun read. I'd suggest this book for ages 13 and up due to mild profanity, and slight references to adult subjects. When the sequel comes out, you can bet you'll find me with a copy in my hands!


No comments:

Post a Comment