07 November 2017

Review: Now Is Everything

Now Is Everything
by Amy Giles

Publisher: Harper Teen
Publication Date: November 7, 2017

NOW IS EVERYTHING by Amy Giles is a dark family drama that deals with abuse, love, and sisterhood. Protagonist Hadley is willing to do anything to protect her younger sister, Lila, from her violent father, but as the stakes increase, she senses she’s running out of time. I’m not going to say much more than that, because the book is, in some ways, a mystery. I enjoyed reading about Hadley and Lila’s relationship; it is incredibly genuine and heartbreaking how much they care about each other. Hadley also explores a forbidden romance with Charlie Simmons, who becomes her confidante and ally; I loved their relationship as well.

I generally lean towards dark material in my book choices, but the graphic violence in NOW IS EVERYTHING was a lot to handle even for me. Hadley is also suicidal at some points in the book, so readers should be conscious of this. Because of the suicidal themes, violence, and substance abuse, I would recommend this book for older teens.

No comments:

Post a Comment