03 November 2017

Review: Dear Martin

Dear Martin
by Nic Stone

Publisher: Crown Books for Young Readers
Publication Date: October 17, 2017

DEAR MARTIN by Nic Stone is a powerful, emotional story about the realities of entrenched racism in American society. The novel deals with themes of police brutality, privilege, and gang culture as protagonist Justyce McAllister struggles to come to terms with the ignorance in his community. I personally thought that this book was very eye-opening; the subject matter is incredibly relevant in today’s increasingly polarized society.

I was extremely emotionally invested in Justyce’s story; there were definitely some tear-jerking moments. I absolutely loved the character of Sarah Jane, Justyce’s outspoken, insanely intelligent debate partner who exemplifies allyship. This book felt extremely truthful and real, the writing was superb, and I honestly cannot think of a single friend I would not recommend this to. Derogatory racial slurs are used in this novel; there are also themes of violence and substance abuse, so I would recommend it for older teens.



No comments:

Post a Comment