03 January 2017

Review: Fate of Flames

Fate of Flames
by Sarah Raughley

Publisher: Simon Pulse
Publication Date: November 22, 2016


When I first started reading FATE OF FLAMES, I was skeptical. When looking at it, the cover and (to be perfectly honest) the name just screamed, “HEY! YOU! THIS IS ONE OF THOSE NOT VERY GOOD PERCY JACKSON-ESQUE BOOKS.” But when I started reading the book, I found that I couldn’t stop.

With its great characters, amazing concept, and excellent writing, the author, Sarah Raughley, creates a whole new (but scarily realistic) world filled to the brim with monsters, magic, and just the right amount of butt-kicking action.

Another thing that I found so attractive about the book is its realism, because it truly brings to light how transitioning from a normal life to killing monsters with magical powers would not only not be instant, but also in some aspects psychologically difficult.

This can be seen in all the “Effigies” in the book, with (to not mention any names) one running from the action, to others who have been alluded to have become alcoholics. Others like the main character, Maia, are at first terrified of fighting against Phantoms, the monsters that leave trails of destruction, wherever they appear.

In summary, this book left me hungering for more, which luckily seems to be coming with FATE OF FLAMES being only the first book in the Effigies series. So without further ado, I wholeheartedly recommend you read FATE OF FLAMES by Sarah Raughley.



No comments:

Post a Comment