05 March 2020

Review: When You Know What I Know

When You Know What I Know
by Sonja K. Solter

Publisher: Little Brown Books for Young Readers
Publication Date: March 24th, 2020

After school, on the couch in the basement, Tori’s uncle does something bad. Tori tells her mother, but she doesn't believe Tori. The aftermath of sexual abuse is filled with so many emotions; fear, anger, shame. Solter captures these emotions in her book When You Know What I Know.

When You Know What I Know is written from the point of view of the main character, “10-almost-11” year old Tori. The book follows her in the wake of violation. Written in verse, Solter’s book is beautifully articulated. Tori’s character is perfectly evolved throughout the novel and her conflicting sentiments are composed accurately. This book covers important but mature subject matter, I recommend it for ages 11+



No comments:

Post a Comment