26 March 2019

Review: XL

XL
by Scott Brown

Publisher: Alfred A. Knopf Books for Young Readers
Publication Date: March 26, 2019

In his moving new novel, Scott Brown tells the story of 4’11” Will Daughtry. With best friend and stepbrother Drew and longtime crush Monica at his side, Will is set to conquer the world in spite of his short stature. But on the day of his sixteenth birthday, nothing goes right for Will and he is left wondering if he is destined to be invisible for the rest of his life. Then, against all odds, Will starts to grow. And grow. And grow. Suddenly, he’s no longer invisible. But that comes with its own set of problems, problems that Will must overcome with the help of his best friends. XL is a heartwarming novel about what a pain it is to grow up and how to embrace change.

It felt somewhat ironic that I, a 6’3” sixteen year old, was reading this book. I’ve never had to deal with the problem of being short, and so my eyes were really opened by Will’s strife. Throughout XL, I was rapt, each chapter leaving me more engaged with the story and yearning to find out more. The book’s only downfall was an ending that left me wanting just a bit more. Despite this, XL was a fantastic book, filled with humor, intelligence, and irrefutable truths. Let’s just say that the next book I read will have some big shoes to fill.

No comments:

Post a Comment