24 July 2018

Review: I Am Still Alive

I Am Still Alive
by Kate Marshall

Publisher: Viking Books for Young Readers
Publication Date: July 24, 2018

I AM STILL ALIVE is a masterfully constructed novel following the life of teenage girl Jess after a series of disastrous events started by the murder of her father leave her stranded alone in the Canadian wilderness. Jess must survive in a foreign land with nothing except a few tools and an ever faithful dog at her side. But Jess is also focused on surviving so that she can enact a revenge plot against the murderer of her father. A survival story plus a revenge plot plus a strong female protagonist. What’s not to like?

With her debut novel, author Kate Marshall is sure to have created a thriller novel that sets the tone for the rest of her career. Jess’s rollercoaster ride of trials and errors kept me fascinated throughout the entirety of the book, and oftentimes I became so entranced with the intricately woven story that I would forget it wasn’t real. The emotions Jess goes through are reflected on the reader, leaving me at times breathless, and at other times, heartbroken. I recommend I AM STILL ALIVE to readers teenaged and older, due to graphic content.

No comments:

Post a Comment