26 June 2018

Review: The Fragile Ordinary

The Fragile Ordinary
by Samantha Young

Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Publication Date: June 26, 2018

When I picked up THE FRAGILE ORDINARY by Samantha Young, I expected to read a light, fluffy romance without much substance (I'm definitely a sucker for those). But I was wrong. Though I probably would have been satisfied with a plot where main characters had met, fallen instantly in love, and then lived happily ever after, after finishing the novel, I appreciated that Young took a more thoughtful, realistic tone. Though the novel is first and foremost a romance, it also deals with heavier topics such as neglect, gang culture, and privilege. Even after I put the book down, I continued to think about the complicated relationships between characters. The one thing that felt a little off about the novel was the pacing; a consequential event happens in the last 30 pages in the novel and I wish that Young had spent more time unpacking it. Despite this, I would recommend this novel to anyone looking for a romance that will make them think. Because of sexual content and substance abuse, this book is probably best suited to older teens.



No comments:

Post a Comment