28 September 2017

Review: She, Myself, and I

She, Myself, and I
by Emma Young

Publisher: Harry N. Abrams
Publication Date: September 5, 2017

SHE, MYSELF, AND I by Emma Young is a fresh and unique new release that tells the tale of Rosa, a paraplegic who takes part in a new innovative surgery that transplants her brain into the body of a donor. As she struggles to come to terms with who she has become, Rosa becomes obsessed with knowing more about Sylvia, the girl whose body she took. Along with the help of a new romantic interest, Rosa explores the story of the dead stranger who allowed her to live.

This book was such a fun yet intriguing read, and I couldn't put it down. The philosophical debate on what makes a person who they are, and the difference between one's brain, body, and potential soul was such an interesting plot, and I thought about it for days after I finished reading the book. It is not that common for YA books to be so intellectually fascinating, and this theme of what people are at the most basic level was one I don't think I've ever read about before. The characters felt genuine and their struggles realistic, and though the romance aspect was a bit cheesy, it was still a delight to follow. I highly recommend this book, and I can't wait to see what Young writes next.


No comments:

Post a Comment