13 May 2019

Review: I Wish You All the Best

I Wish You All the Best
by Mason Deaver

Publisher: Push/Scholastic
Publication Date: May 14, 2019

I WISH YOU ALL THE BEST is a charmingly honest romance that focuses on the conflicts of family struggles, self-acceptance, and love. The story follows 18-year-old Ben DeBacker, who is kicked out of their home after coming out to their parents as non-binary. Finding their life flipped upside down in less than an hour, Ben struggles to not only reconnect with their estranged older sister Hannah, but deal with newfound anxiety caused by their parent’s rejection. However, one thing that makes it all a bit easier is Ben’s outgoing friend, Nathan Allan. As the two grow closer at Ben’s new school, their feelings do as well, and Ben’s new life gives way to an opportunity for acceptance, paintings, and a first love.

This book was an emotional rollercoaster, one that kept me wrapped in the story right from the start. Though I have never had experience with being kicked out by my parents or being non-binary, I really empathized with Ben’s character, and was rooting for them to find their voice and find happiness in not only others, but themself as well. This book truly was written from the heart, and I cannot recommend it enough!



1 comment: