25 October 2018

Review: Flatland

Flatland
by Edwin A. Abbott

Publisher: Dover
Publication Date: September 21, 1992


FLATLAND by Edwin A. Abbott is narrated by a Square, who describes how life works in the Second Dimension. He explains things such as how their society functions in a Caste system, how the inhabitants see or “feel” their surroundings, and the differences between males and females. FLATLAND is not really a plot-driven book, which for me, can occasionally be a bit difficult to get through. I would describe this book as “interesting”. It is not gripping or suspenseful. However, it offers a unique perspective (pun intended) of something few ponder. For those who are interested in physics, engineering, or anything geometrical, I would highly recommend this book. However, even though I myself am interested in these subjects, I still found myself rereading many passages multiple times; not because I did not understand what was being described, but because I wanted to fully comprehend it. The occasional illustration assists with understanding this different reality, but still requires much thought to truly understand and comprehend how life works in Flatland.







No comments:

Post a Comment