28 November 2017

Review: R.I.P. Eliza Hart

R.I.P. Eliza Hart
by Alyssa Sheinmel

Publisher: Scholastic Press
Publication Date: November 28, 2017

Do I have a thing for odd, broken ladies named Sokoloff? From my last reviewed book, GENUINE FRAUD, I went right to this one. R.I.P ELIZA HART is about two misunderstood and mentally “sick” girls, both of whom seem to hate the other. One of them is a “mean girl,” the other is a “freak.” It is a whodunit, except you find out at the end…Eliza Hart is not perfect in any way. 

This book was a bit sadder and a bit more beautiful than GENUINE FRAUD, although the slow reveal and deep twists were similar. I liked the tree burl thieves – I liked that their official “crime” was just maybe less of a true crime than you might expect. Mack and Sam are both, in my opinion, the most realistic characters, simply because we do not read from their perspective but we know how they feel. I liked Sam and Ellie’s transition between friendship and girlfriend/boyfriend-ship, it was paced well and very sweet.

1 comment: