28 May 2014

Review: Divergent

Divergent by Veronica Roth
Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books
Publication date: March 5, 2011

DIVERGENT is about Beatrice Prior, a sixteen-year-old girl living in dystopian Chicago, which is divided into factions based on virtues. When Beatrice picks the faction that she wants to belong to, and begins initiation, she discovers that there are dangerous secrets lying beneath the orderly surface of her world. As Beatrice becomes more entwined in her faction, she realizes that people and things are not always what they seem. I really enjoyed DIVERGENT. It was well-written and so compelling that I found it difficult to put down. The romance was not overdone and the ending is a semi-cliffhanger that makes me want to read the sequel. I would definitely recommend this book, especially to fans of other dystopian novels. However, I would encourage readers who did not necessarily enjoy other dystopian novels to try DIVERGENT. I would recommend this book for children ages 14 and up (which is what the book recommends) due to some graphic violence that may be disturbing.

No comments:

Post a Comment